Many of my friends dont really understand me. They keep wondering why I dont want to go combination A, which is Triple Science, even though I can ABSOLUTELY and DEFINITELY get in. They probably think I'm insane. They say that I am robbing people of their chance to go into combination B, which I am posted to. I jokingly answered them, "But this way, i'm giving people chance to go into combination A!" That was just a joke, and wasnt the actual reason, becoz my friends already knew my reason, it's just that they cant comprehend it.
What's so nice about combination A in the first place. Though it's the best class and everybody seems to want to jump into it. Being in the best class, most of the time means competition is higher as well as the pressure and stress. But they say that the best teachers would be teaching that class. And to cope with 3 pure sciences is over bearing. In the beginning of the year, I wanted to learn Bio, but later i changed my mind. I wanted to learn Bio 'coz it got something to do with animals. I'm a animal lover, you see, and I want to work with animals as my career. & everyone say, then you have to learn Bio. But i just realised that Bio isnt my stuff and I dont like learning it and have trouble understanding it, especially human Bio. I find that it is not worth learning a subject that you dont like, it proves harder to study even though u may still force yourself to study it very hard. And what's more, my science marks aint that high. So i find it is not worth for me to study triple science even though it'll be benefitual for my future/career.
Moreover, I like studying humanities. And all 3 of my humanities subjects are better than my science grades. In combination B, I can study 2 humanities whereas in combination A, I can only study 1 and is in elective. I love(quite) history, I like learning Literature (though i wont take it coz i find it difficult to understand and dont want to take it for exams but dont mind studying it on my own for fun), and I find Geography interesting and want to find out more. So, in combination B, i have the best of both world becoz i really like and want to study/learn Geography and History.
At first i was wondering whether I should take core Hist, but my school didnt offer. So my class kinda appeal in. They say if we want core Hist can, but we have to go to another sch to study it. So i was in quite of a dilemma. Becoz I prayed and told God that if my appeal gets through it'll be His will for me to study core Hist. But i didnt know that it'll be troublesome and i would have to be real independent, lots of cons. And i would be gambling with my grades that may pull down my overall in my O-levels.
Thank God! He sent my great History teacher who helped me decide, even though he didnt know what big help he had given. He advised us not to try taking core Hist, becoz it would be a very difficult path that is not worth taking. So, like my mom said, going one big circle to tell me that it is not God's plan for me to take core Hist, but in a very good way too. At least i will be satisfied that I have tried. So that in the future, i wont look back and say "if only i had the chance to take core Hist, life would be different." I was given the chance but i turned it down. So Praise the Lord! Sometimes He tells us things in a funny and unexpected way.
However, all my marks (comparing to the 1st semester) dropped except for my D&T. They deproved=( Though I know that I did very well in my level this round, but I feel that my grades are more important. Not only did i not improve, i didnt even maintain my standard. Dropping from @ least 4 marks up to 23 marks for a subject. Sigh... Guess i need to work much harder during the hols and next year. I wanna see improvements not in class or level position but in my overall grades!!! Many would think I'm greedy, not satisfied with what I have, which they think is very good already.
While I'm am sort of rejoicing because I am going to the combination I wanted and I have a very good friend going with me, my mood drastically changed and I went home heavy-hearted.
At the bus stop, I met a good friend of mine. She was in tears. She did quite badly for her overall results. She was worried of her punishment when she returns home with her bad results. She told me that her parents had given her a warning during mid-yr, and this time her results was not as good as during the mid-yr. My heart was sadden. She was a good friend, a bubbly, cheerful, outgoing, quite hardworking, responsible, generous and fun girl. You can see that she is well received from her wide/big social circle of friends. She probably tried and studied very hard but yet she couldnt meet her parents expectations.
This is not something uncommon, but rather common in many Singaporean families. If children arent able to meet their parents high (sometimes unreachable) expectations, they are in for more trouble and will be punished severely. Being caned, grounded, privileges removed, not being allowed to play, maybe even a dock in their pocket money are some of the punishments that are handed down when parents are not happy with their children results. I find that this is not a very good way.
If the child was really lazy and didnt put in effort during the exam time but waste his/her time away, then such punishment (like being caned) should be carried out to ensure the discipline of the child that he/she would be more hardworking. But if the child had studied hard and put in lots of effort but are still unable to meet the requirements set, my opinion is that they should not be punished. They would already be feeling disappointed and discouraged. At this time, parents should see & be appreciative of the effort they put in. They should encourage their child, instead of punishing them and making them feel that no matter how hard they studied it is no use. Sigh... Life is tough!
While some are rejoicing, yet some are in tears. That is life - a mix of joy and tears. We should look and remember the good times and not the bad times. For all those who feel that you didnt do well in your exams or in any aspect of your life, I want to encourage you. Dont worry so, for it would not make the situation any better. But face the consequences and try harder the next time.
And... ... ... ...
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment